Four Arab countries say they are ready for Qatar dialogue with conditions

Four Arab countries say they are ready for Qatar dialogue with conditions

Four Arab countries say they are ready for Qatar dialogue with conditions

DUBAI (Reuters) – The four Arab countries that have severed ties with Qatar said on Sunday they were ready for talks to address the dispute if Doha had intended to meet their demands.

Foreign ministers from Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates met in Bahrain, capital of Manama, to discuss the crisis that has raised tensions throughout the region.

The Saudi block blocked ties with the Gulf state on June 5, accusing it of supporting militant groups and consulting with its enemy Iran, denying the accusations that Doha.

Kuwait’s diplomatic efforts and support from Western powers have failed to end the dispute, in which the four states have independent travel and communications with Qatar.

“The four countries are ready to dialogue with Qatar on the condition that it announces its sincere desire to stop terrorism and extremism funding and its commitment not to interfere in the foreign affairs of other countries and to satisfy claims,” ​​said the minister of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain, Cheikh Khalid bin Ahmed al-Khalifa, said at a joint news conference after the meeting.

They have not announced any new economic sanctions for the Gulf state.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain have already published a list of 13 Qatari claims, which include reducing their support for the Muslim Brotherhood, closing Al Jazeera in Doha, closing a military base in Turkey And reducing its relations with the enemy Gulf Iran.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said that Qatar was not serious to meet the demands of countries.

“We are willing to talk to Qatar to implement the requirements of the implementation of the principles, if Qatar is serious, but clearly it is not,” he said.

The four countries have also listed “six principles” that they want Qatar to adopt.

Qatar Foreign Minister Cheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani rejected the statement from the four countries on Sunday and said sanctions violate international law.

“There is no clear vision (of the Manama meeting), there is a stubborn policy blocking countries and refusal to admit that it is illegal actions,” Sheikh Mohammed told al Jazeera television channel.

Earlier Sunday, the Al-Hayat newspaper said, citing unidentified sources in the Gulf, the four countries “should impose sanctions that will gradually affect Qatar’s economy.”

Saudi Arabia has closed its land border with Qatar, while four countries have cut off air connections with Doha requiring the country’s gas export to take several steps to demonstrate that it was changing its policies.

Turkey and Iran were involved in supplying produce, poultry and fresh dairy products in Qatar instead of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, Oman and provides alternative port to those of the United Arab Emirates.

The four Arab countries have added 18 individuals and groups who say they are linked to their Qatar “terrorist” lists last week.

Reports by Sami Aboudi and Omar Fahmy; Additional report from Mostafa Hashem in Doha; Edited by Jane Merriman and Peter Cooney

Leave a Reply